Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When a person is over 50...

So today I heard words spoken to me that were as stunning as a glass of water in the face.  They shouldn't have been since they are as true as true can be.  They were also not new news or anything I didn't already know.  I think it was the way they were said...just so matter of factly and so unappologeticly...(yeah I don't know how to spell that word at all).  The words were spoken by my new eye doctor.."J.C."....what kind of name is that for a dr?  "Hi, I'm J.C."...and I am supposed to take that seriously?  Anyway.."J.C." was examining my eyes and while checking me for glaucoma...thank you mother dear...and without even looking up at me sympathetically he said."When a person is over 50...blah blah blah".  I didn't even hear what he said after the word fifty...I stopped right there and my mind went in a totally different direction than "J.C."'s did.  He could have told me I was dying of cancer or that I had just won the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstake...I have no idea what he said.  Now, I know I AM over 50---52 to be exact.  I usually feel over 50.  This was not news to me, after all, even if I was in complete denial, I did just fill out 4 sheets of paper with my birth date on it in the waiting room.  But hearing the phrase "When a person is over 50" and then suddenly realizing that you are the only person in the room it applies to (because let's be honest,..our friend "J.C." is just 30 minutes out of High School and probably still has his prom pictures on his dresser at home)...is just dumbfounding.  It really is.  (let me just interject here that I am FIGHTING  the urge to go back and change "it applies to" to "to whom it applies"  but I am told you are just supposed to free think here in blog land and not worry about grammar or structure...but it is killing me.  I just wanted it noted that I am aware of the grammar error and I apologize.)  But back to being over 50...In his defense...J.C. is a very nice young man, and seems to be a very thorough eye dr. and I will gladly go back to him and even refer him to my friends...yada yada yada,...I guess I am more surprised and stunned at my own reaction.  The words that hit me in the face like a brick just flowed off of his tongue with such ease.  Why did they stun me so?  I have been wondering that all afternoon.  And I still don't know the answer.  It was hard enough to realize that I qualified as at risk for gallbladder trouble by satisfying the "four F's"  Female, Fertile, Fat and Forty.  And that was 12 years ago!!!!  I don't even qualify for gallbladder issues anymore...no longer fertile and waaaay over forty.  Who ever thought that would be a disappointment?
So, what is wrong with being over 50?  nothing...except everything.  Realizing that when I have been married as long again as I have been now...I will be 83!!!!  Did you hear what I just said?  83?  I think we all know that everything goes faster when going down hill instead of up hill...and I am definitely on the down hill slide of life...and it is going to go faster and faster...on the bright side, I won't be pushing up a hill any more which is a whole lot of work...and I am too tired.  But still....over 50 hurts a little and makes me feel slow....I hope he didn't tell me anything too important after he said that because I didn't hear it.
I wonder if babbling is a sign of over 50?  must be...

No comments:

Post a Comment